Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It's not Fair!!!

Three words get on my nerves like no others. "It's not fair"...I hear this whiny lament from both adults and kids. Typically, someone got something MORE than someone else - a better opportunity, a bigger privilege, a different reward!

Fair and equal are not the same! It's tough to accept but a real fact of life when you're raising more than one kid or managing more than one person. Does the complainer really want to be treated exactly the same as everybody else? I suppose that society pressures us to be sure everyone is treated the same... and political correctness screams out for equality - but everyone's not treated equally, because everyone is NOT the same! That's why some people get cut from teams. That's why there's only one first place trophy. We're not all equally capable, equally talented, equally "entitled" - so it's NOT FAIR to treat ALL people as though they are!

Sure, fundamental human rights issues have to be rooted in equality...and the whole gender thing carries some weight when it comes to the equality debate...back in the 80's I firmly believed men and women were equal...but I like to think I've evolved. Women are far superior at many things and men are better than us at a few too...equal? I guess for entitlements to pay and rights...but not with lifting bodies out of burning buildings...or...being maternal and intuitive...- it is what it is!

Equality in my family means equal access to the universals - we love equally, and support equally with all of the essentials (and then some), but I treat my kids differently - each one. Do they get equal privileges - nope...equal opportunities - not even...are they held to the same standard and given the same consequences? For the non-negotiables - yes... there are some rules of engagement that are one-size-fits all. Outside of that, each kid is his or her own person with unique talents and gifts - needs and responses to encouragement and punishment...What works with one is off side with the other...so why would I bother trying to treat them all the same? Simply to appear fair??? If I paint them all with the same brush I lose so much of their individualism that I start expecting them all to be the same...now that's NOT fair.


I hope my kids and the folks I work with every day understand that their uniqueness should never be compromised for the sake of "fair", because when fair takes over - true talents can get diluted in the sea of correctness...My kid who is really great at math understands that when HE gets a 75% in it - he will be given a harder time than his brother who gets a 60 in math. Why is THAT fair? Because their math aptitudes are NOT equal.

I hope that they all understand that the guy with the "C" on his hockey jersey earned it and gets more privileges - than the rookie...I hope they understand that treating everyone the same may mean losing sight of the individual talents, strengths and passions that can only be nurtured through differentiation. Giving everyone the same reward - so there are no "hurt" feeling" - making sure there are no "winners" to preserve the dignity of losers, giving everyone the same privileges (not rights - that's different) - all under the banner of fair, is - to me - the single most unfair thing a parent or a manager or an organization can do.

We fought for equality, secured equality and now we should evolve into a new era - where equality is "a given" and the uniqueness of every person, and between the genders, is what's celebrated and preserved...

No comments:

Post a Comment